Re: [Healeys] Paint type

To: gbrierton@hotmail.com, healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Paint type
From: Larry Wendland <bighealey3k@aim.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2018 19:49:06 +0000 (UTC)

-----Original Message-----
From: Gary R. Brierton <gbrierton@hotmail.com>
To: healeys@autox.team.net <healeys@autox.team.net>
Sent: Thu, Oct 18, 2018 11:15 pm
Subject: [Healeys] Paint type

 My '67 BJ8 came with the painted front badge which faded out very quickly over
time. I could have bought a new badge in cloisonne from the dealer for $25
Dollars back then but lets say I was too "Frugal" at the time.  I should have
bought a dozen of them and held on to them all these years. They would be worth
a tidy sum now. SHOULD'A WOULD'A COULD'A as they say. My bad.

Larry
'67 BJ8

OK...let's try and clear this up.  As I understand it, the "flat wings with
the Austin-Healey script" commonly seen on BN1, BN2 and (I don't know when it
stopped), had red paint of unknown shade in the etched out lettering.  Along
came the larger badges with MKII or whatever, incloisonne. THEN, to really
screw us up, those badges returned to red paint of unknown shade, seemingly
during BJ8 production.  As was true with almost everything involving our cars,
the exact change VIN number for all of this is largely indeterminate, at least
as far as trim pieces are concerned...oh, and some major body parts, like wings
with one  or two signaling lights, swag lines, whatever.  Reliable reports
(from D.M.H.!) state that the guiding principle in assembling our cars was "use
up what was on hand".
I claim no expertise beyond owning Austin-Healeys and associating with their
owners for over 50 years (so, mainly the 6 cylinder cars).
Take it away, Curt, Randy, Steve, et. al.ð???

Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/bighealey3k@aim.com