Re: [Healeys] Mind if I Rant?

To: WILLIAM B LAWRENCE <ynotink@msn.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Mind if I Rant?
From: Michael MacLean <rrengineer.mike@att.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2019 15:57:59 +0000 (UTC)
Cc: Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>

------=_Part_1696513_1637533993.1563119879971

 Bill,=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0 I do not envy you about the painting of your=
 car.=C2=A0 I went through three body and fender people before my BN2 was s=
omewhat acceptable.=C2=A0 It is far from perfect and I have spent many thou=
sands to get it almost right.=C2=A0 I was fortunate to have my local restor=
er friend who has since passed, advise me on what has to be done to the bod=
y before painting like fitting the grill and splash pan during the bodywork=
 before it is painted.=C2=A0 My big problem was the first body man thought =
that carving a car out of a half inch of Bondo was the way to go.=C2=A0 The=
 inside surface of the metal looked far different than the outside Bondoed =
surface.=C2=A0 He left in the middle of the night with my money, leaving my=
 car outside with only one coat of the first stage on the car and took my c=
omplete windscreen assembly with him.=C2=A0 No one can find him right now.=
=C2=A0 To his credit, the second body man removed the Bondo and did a much =
better job of bringing the metal closer to the paint.=C2=A0 Also to his cre=
dit he had finished painting the car before he skipped town, but once again=
 that was a disaster.=C2=A0 He had promised to take it across the way to th=
e "real" body shop and rent their paint booth for $100.=C2=A0 That did not =
happen.=C2=A0 He wanted to save $100, so he painted it right in his shop.=
=C2=A0 The problem was he had been sub-letting his half of the shop in the =
industrial park with a guy making concrete paving stones.=C2=A0 When he pai=
nted the car in his shop he got dirt particles in the paint under the clear=
 coat on the side next to the paving stones. He told me that color sanding =
it would "get that out of the paint".=C2=A0 It did not.=C2=A0 Then he skipp=
ed town like the last guy.=C2=A0 I was beginning to see a pattern.=C2=A0 Th=
e last guy I took it to razor bladed all the paint off and repainted the ca=
r.=C2=A0 He did a lousy job of prep work and you can see sanding lines unde=
r the paint in some places if you look close and bubbles have popped up is =
a few places.=C2=A0 One large bubble popped up between the right headlight =
and the bonnet opening on the shroud.=C2=A0 I was told he would fix this wh=
en he wasn't so busy.=C2=A0 I called a few days ago about scheduling the ca=
r to repair the areas that needed it and he had changed his tune completely=
.=C2=A0 He wanted to estimate how much to charge me to do the work.=C2=A0 H=
e wouldn't even get on the phone, he had his wife tell me he had told me or=
iginally when he had=C2=A0 painted it he was only going to sand the car dow=
n and paint over the the old paint, therefore he was not responsible for wh=
at happened to the paint after that.=C2=A0 This is not true. He denied sayi=
ng that he razored the old paint off, a lie. =C2=A0 He said what do you exp=
ect for $12,000.00!=C2=A0 That is where I am right now.=C2=A0 I have a mind=
 to leave it the way it is and when I am asked at a Healey meet about the g=
laring problems with the paint, tell people of the wonderful customer servi=
ce I got from this guy.=C2=A0 Believe me, he is not getting another dime ou=
t of me.=C2=A0 I have a local production body and fender shop I trust for s=
mall repairs that will be fixing the problems, I hope.=C2=A0 I'm too far in=
to this car now to stop.=C2=A0 I probably could have bought three running 1=
00s with what I have spent so far.=C2=A0 Talk about a sickness.Mike MacLean

    On Thursday, July 11, 2019, 8:11:01 PM PDT, WILLIAM B LAWRENCE <ynotink=
@msn.com> wrote: =20
=20
 #yiv4715006757 P {margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;}Mike,
My car has been off the road for 4 years and I am finally planning to get i=
t into paint it this weekend. It isn't just new parts or re-pops that can v=
ary in dimension even used or NOS parts are sometimes wrong. The fact that =
these cars were "hand built" and the suppliers at the time were a little sl=
oppy with their tolerances means that any job is going to be as much a matt=
er of luck as skill. I read or heard somewhere that Jensens had piles of pa=
nels next to their assembly line and that as the chassis came down the line=
 they would test fit panels until they found an acceptable match. Parts lik=
e the cockpit surrounds, bonnets and deck lids were hand fitted to each car=
 and number stamped to avoid having them mixed up. Parts from one car may h=
ave a completely different fit than those from another. Oh well, If it were=
 easy a Ford mechanic could do it...
Congratulations=C2=A0on your retirement. If I had known how much I would en=
joy it I would have done that first.

Bill LawrenceBN1 #554