Re: [Healeys] Alternator Pulleys

To: Roger Grace <roggrace@telus.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Alternator Pulleys
From: Michael Salter <michaelsalter@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2019 17:29:01 -0400
Cc: Tom McCay <Tom.McCay@ccw-tools.com>, Healey List <healeys@autox.team.net>, pbrauen@gmail.com

--000000000000eaeba10590065422

Real Healeys don't have alternators =F0=9F=A4=A3=F0=9F=A4=A3=F0=9F=A4=A3

On Tue, Aug 13, 2019, 1:45 PM Roger Grace, <roggrace@telus.net> wrote:

> In any event, unless you are doing significantly more idling than driving
> this drawdown duning idling is not really significant. This is what the
> battery is for. If you had an ammeter you would see the amps pick up afte=
> idling to bring the batt back up to full volts.
> Of couse you need a good batt, and alternator.
> rg

class=3D"gmail_attr">On Tue, Aug 13, 2019, 1:45 PM Roger Grace, &lt;<a href=
blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px=
 #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">In any event, unless you are doing significan=
tly more idling than driving this drawdown duning idling is not really sign=
ificant. This is what the battery is for. If you had an ammeter you would s=
ee the amps pick up after idling to bring the batt back up to full volts.<b=
r>
Of couse you need a good batt, and alternator.<br>
rg<br>
----- Original Message -----<br>
&gt; On Aug 12, 2019, at 6:39 PM, Tom McCay &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:Tom.McCay=
@ccw-tools.com" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">Tom.McCay@ccw-tools.co=
m</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Hi Price, alternators do not kick in until they are rotating at about =
1200 alternator RPM. The pulley ratio is approximately 3:1 when comparing t=
he bottom crank pulley to the alternator pulley. At idle of 800 RPM the alt=
ernator would be rotating at 2400 RPM so you should have a good output at i=
dle. The smaller the alternator pulley the faster it will spin.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Kindest regards<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Tom McCay<br>
&gt; Director<br>
&gt; <a href=3D"http://www.ccw-tools.com"; rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer" tar=
get=3D"_blank">www.ccw-tools.com</a><br>
&gt; Tel: 01522 888178<br>
&gt; ________________________________________<br>
&gt; From: Healeys [<a href=3D"mailto:healeys-bounces@autox.team.net"; targe=
t=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">healeys-bounces@autox.team.net</a>] On Beha=
lf Of R. Lindsay [<a href=3D"mailto:050.rpl@gmail.com"; target=3D"_blank" re=
l=3D"noreferrer">050.rpl@gmail.com</a>]<br>
&gt; Sent: 12 August 2019 23:19<br>
&gt; To: <a href=3D"mailto:warthodson@aol.com"; target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"nor=
eferrer">warthodson@aol.com</a>; <a href=3D"mailto:pbrauen@gmail.com"; targe=
t=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">pbrauen@gmail.com</a>; Healey List<br>
&gt; Subject: [Healeys] Alternator Pulleys<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; I have installed an alternator in my BJ8 to support ac with mixed succ=
ess. Since our cars use a v-belt system I had to replace the pulley that ca=
me with the alternator(serpentine) with a v-belt pulley.=C2=A0 I have check=
ed the power the alternator and at idle, it is below the amperage needed to=
 run the equipment I have installed.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; When I look at the circumference of the v-belt pulley and the serpenti=
ne pulley, the v-belt is definitely smaller. Should I use a v-belt pulley o=
f similar size?=C2=A0 Increasing the circumference of the pulley will make =
the alternator spin faster and maybe solve my issue of slow engine speed/lo=
w amp output, I think.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; If my thinking is correct, how big of a pulley should I use?=C2=A0 I p=
resume that if the pulley is too large, it may make the alternator produce =
too many amps and damage it.=C2=A0 Should I match the size of the serpentin=
e pulley or buy a pulley based on a calculation?=C2=A0 (FWIW, I have no kno=
wledge/experience to do this).<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; The pulleys on the crank and water pump are standard Healey. There is =
ac installed and the pulley on the compressor is larger than the old genera=
tor. I have a two belt system so the alternator is belted to the compressor=
 which if what I said above about larger pulleys spin their equipment faste=
r, how should this be accounted for?<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; I may be over thinking this but I would like to run the ac at a reason=
able idle. Has anyone approached this and came up with a resolution?<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Thank you so much for any light that can be shed on this.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Price Lindsay<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Cell: 630-841-6300<br>
&gt; Email: <a href=3D"mailto:050.rpl@gmail.com"; target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"n=
oreferrer">050.rpl@gmail.com</a><br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Sent from my iPhone<br>
&gt; Support Team.Net <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html"; rel=3D"no=
referrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><=
br>
&gt; Suggested annual donation=C2=A0 $12.75<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys"; rel=3D"nore=
ferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys<=
/a> <a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive"; rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer"=