Re: [Healeys] Wheels/Tires

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Wheels/Tires
From: "Max Byers" <sbyers@ec.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2020 13:13:05 -0500
I'm comfortable that a wheel is not going to collapse with a couple broken
spokes, especially as my experience with more than one broken spoke at a time
has been vibration from the wheel.   When I investigated the tires and wheels
and found the damage, I installed the spare.  Some of those single broken
spokes were found while washing the wheels, and could have been there for some
time.

The last occasion I recall was during my return home to North Carolina from
Conclave in San Diego in 2008.  About 50 miles out from home I began to feel a
vibration and my traveling companion saw that it was the right rear wheel
"bouncing" slightly. It had two broken spokes.  Whether the first spoke broke
two miles from San Diego or shortly before the vibration, I don't know, but
there was a signal that there was something wrong. If one is not sensitive to
the signals and keeps driving, sure, it's possible a wheel could collapse and
72 spokers would give some additional margin; but the cost and diminished
visual esthetics of 72 spokes, to me, do not justify more spokes.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
AHCA Delegate at Large