Re: [Healeys] Four cylinder woes, part two!

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Four cylinder woes, part two!
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2020 09:37:20 -0700

--------------3AB3CB2D5CF26492F66D7070

FWIW, I've used manganese-bronze guides--two sets--in my BJ8 for about
120K miles with nary a problem with the valve train.  For my last
overhaul, about 6K miles ago, my overhauler/machinist didn't bat an eye
when I brought the guides to him, and they are a highly-respected
performance shop.

TBH, I never gave my choice a lot of thought, it just seemed bronze was
the way to go.  Extensive research--okay, 10 minutes of searching the
interwebs--yielded a qualitative answer:

"Cast iron cannot be used with stainless steel [valves] because of its
tendency to gall."  ([] mine)

- https://www.enginebuildermag.com/2013/04/valve-seats-guides/

Again, I never gave it a thought, but went with stainless exhaust valves
since that seems to be the predominant option.

Bob

On 3/15/2020 8:15 AM, Steven Kingsbury via Healeys wrote:
> Bill,
>    From the research I have been doing, I am finding that what you are
> saying here is correct. 0.003 seems to be the preferred clearance in
> the bore for the valve stem. As such I am being torn in a number of
> ways as to what I'm going to do. As I sit right now, I'm going to
> order the steel guides as I have already ordered the manganese-bronze
> ones, and take them to the shop where I'm going to have the work done.
>    My final decision might be a coin toss, but more than likely with
> all the information, guidance and remarks I have heard here from
> fellows on the list, the 0.003 bore hasn't caused problems with those
> using them in cast iron heads. And who knows, maybe they will discover
> some minor cracks in my head and then I will have no choice but to go
> with the aluminum head and my worries will be over.
>    Bottom line, I can't thank you and others on this list enough for
> the education and guidance I'm getting. Confusion or not, this is
> still a fun experience made all the more so by folks in our community.
> Thank you all!
> Cheers,
> Steven Kingsbury
>
> On March 14, 2020 at 7:28 PM, WILLIAM B LAWRENCE <ynotink@msn.com> wrote:
>
>> Since the thermal expansion rates of bronze and iron are so different
>> the bronze guide can be crushed by the iron surrounding it thus
>> causing the valve stem to stick. The solution is to provide extra
>> clearance in the guide, which kind of negates the benefit of
>> replacing the guides in the first place. They do work well in alloy
>> heads though.
>>
>> Bill Lawrence
>> BN1 #554

  <head>
  </head>
    FWIW, I've used manganese-bronze guides--two sets--in my BJ8 for
    about 120K miles with nary a problem with the valve train.  For my
    last overhaul, about 6K miles ago, my overhauler/machinist didn't
    bat an eye when I brought the guides to him, and they are a
    highly-respected performance shop.<br>
    TBH, I never gave my choice a lot of thought, it just seemed bronze
    was the way to go.  Extensive research--okay, 10 minutes of
    searching the interwebs--yielded a qualitative answer:<br>
    "Cast iron cannot be used with stainless steel [valves] because of
    its tendency to gall."  ([] mine)<br>
    - <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="https://www.enginebuildermag.com/2013/04/valve-seats-guides/";>https://www.enginebuildermag.com/2013/04/valve-seats-guides/</a><br>
    Again, I never gave it a thought, but went with stainless exhaust
    valves since that seems to be the predominant option.<br>
    Bob<br>
      via Healeys wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:c6e2d6da-cb40-4708-ace4-81ad4456746c@me.com">
        what you are saying here is correct. 0.003 seems to be the
        preferred clearance in the bore for the valve stem. As such I am
        being torn in a number of ways as to what I'm going to do. As I
        sit right now, I'm going to order the steel guides as I have
        already ordered the manganese-bronze ones, and take them to the
        shop where I'm going to have the work done.</div>
        likely with all the information, guidance and remarks I have
        heard here from fellows on the list, the 0.003 bore hasn't
        caused problems with those using them in cast iron heads. And
        who knows, maybe they will discover some minor cracks in my head
        and then I will have no choice but to go with the aluminum head
        and my worries will be over. </div>
        enough for the education and guidance I'm getting. Confusion or
        not, this is still a fun experience made all the more so by
        folks in our community. Thank you all!</div>
        On March 14, 2020 at 7:28 PM, WILLIAM B LAWRENCE
        <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
href="mailto:ynotink@msn.com";>&lt;ynotink@msn.com&gt;</a> wrote:<br>
            bronze and iron are so different the bronze guide can be
            crushed by the iron surrounding it thus causing the valve
            stem to stick. The solution is to provide extra clearance in
            the guide, which kind of negates the benefit of replacing
            the guides in the first place. They do work well in alloy
            heads though.<br>
            Bill Lawrence<br>
            BN1 #554
            <hr style="display: inline-block; width: 98%;"
              data-mce-style="display: inline-block; width: 98%;">
                sans-serif" data-mce-style="font-size: 11pt; color:
                #000000; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif;"
                style="font-size: 11pt; color: #000000; font-family:
                Calibri, sans-serif;" color="#000000"><b>From:</b>
                Healeys <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
href="mailto:healeys-bounces@autox.team.net";>&lt;healeys-bounces@autox.team.net&gt;</a>
 on behalf
                of David P <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
href="mailto:frogeye@porterscustom.com";>&lt;frogeye@porterscustom.com&gt;</a><br>
                <b>To:</b> <a href="mailto:healeys@autox.team.net";
                  data-mce-href="mailto:healeys@autox.team.net";
                  moz-do-not-send="true">healeys@autox.team.net</a>
                <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
href="mailto:healeys@autox.team.net";>&lt;healeys@autox.team.net&gt;</a><br>
                <b>Subject:</b> Re: [Healeys] Four cylinder woes, part
                two!</span>
[...]
                DP<br>
                Michael Salter wrote:<br>
href="https://www.netbug.net/blogmichael/2007/05/15/bronze-giudes-in-cast-iron-cylinder-heads/";
data-mce-href="https://www.netbug.net/blogmichael/2007/05/15/bronze-giudes-in-cast-iron-cylinder-heads/";

moz-do-not-send="true">https://www.netbug.net/blogmichael/2007/05/15/bronze-giudes-in-cast-iron-cylinder-heads/</a><br>
                    2020, 12:17 PM Steven Kingsbury via Healeys, &lt;<a
                      href="mailto:healeys@autox.team.net";
                      data-mce-href="mailto:healeys@autox.team.net";
                      moz-do-not-send="true">healeys@autox.team.net</a>&gt;
                    wrote:<br>
                    .8ex; border-left: 1px #ccc solid; padding-left:
                    1ex;" data-mce-style="margin: 0 0 0 .8ex;
                    border-left: 1px #ccc solid; padding-left: 1ex;">
                        bronze valve guides being crushed. I had always
                        heard they were the better ones and they are by
                        far the more expensive. Not that money and/or
                        expensive makes something better. I have heard
                        though, that they are better, so this is a
                        surprise. </div>
                        over with a fine tooth comb all this weekend.
                        With the amount of carbon I found on the valves
                        I am for sure going to be checking the piston
                        rings even though the cylinder walls are quite
                        pristine. The reason? Finding less than stellar
                        workmanship in the previous work done of this
                        engine, I just don't trust that the rings were
                        done correctly to begin with and since I'm here,
                        I'm going to check.  Peace of mind will be well
                        worth it.</div>
                        On March 13, 2020 at 11:47 AM, WILLIAM B
                        LAWRENCE &lt;<a href="mailto:ynotink@msn.com";
                          data-mce-href="mailto:ynotink@msn.com";
                          moz-do-not-send="true">ynotink@msn.com</a>&gt;
                        wrote:<br>
                            bronze valve guides in an iron head. These
                            can cause problems due to the different
                            thermal expansion rates of the materials.
                            The iron can crush the bronze and cause the
                            valve to stick.<br>
                            Bill Lawrence<br>
                            BN1 #554<br>
                            <hr style="display: inline-block; width:
                              98%;" data-mce-style="display:
                              inline-block; width: 98%;"><br>
                                          0px 0px 0.8ex; border-left:
                                          1px solid #cccccc;