RE: Streamliners

To: "gillette@aiinc.com" <gillette@aiinc.com>,
Subject: RE: Streamliners
From: Beth Butters <bbutters@dmi.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 1999 20:03:26 -0800
         I can't say it's a good idea to walk around and look at other cars to
see what is legal in your class.  Basically you need to comply with the rule
book if you want to set a record and not be protested. I at first thought
getting threw tech was part of being legal for a class, but the inspectors are
really only looking for safety compliance.  As near as I have ever been able to
determine a protest for conforming to the rules is only looked at on a record
breaking car. So beware, lots of times things get by because no one happened to
be there that  cared what happened to that particular record . Take for
instance  Turner Whitny  record they set with there 53 Stude coupe with an air
dam on front, somehow that got to the record books. But I still can't run an
air dam on my altered 53  Stude,  but I  'd like to think that if I was going
after  their particular record  I'd have a pretty good case, for running an
airdam  on  the same body style.  But you have to realize it is completely up
to the SCTA board , they could  simply not  allow the record to stand.  Which
is most likely because I am not one of the  old SCTA crowd which is just the
way it is. I do remember reading not to long ago that  SCTA was going to more
actively pursue having cars  checked for class compliance, so things may be
changing.            Kvach Butters   BB/G ALT  #1392