Re: Rivets

To: kturk@ala.net, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rivets
From: FastmetalBDF@aol.com
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 13:19:25 EDT
      Hey Keith ..... You might try the McMaster - Carr catalog or website
.....            Let the rivet shank project above the metal surface ( or
washer
) the same
height as the rivet's diameter . Rivet sets of the proper size and a nice
small ballpein hammer and body dollies are very helpful, too ........
    Eyeballing 20s & 30s / 40s rivet work on aircraft and race cars can be
a good source for doing things the right way, spacing, etc .
    A Roper-Whitney type hand held hole punch with different size dies can
be handy for making the holes if you're working near the edge of the sheet
metal. Riveting ( non - Pop type ) has become somewhat of a lost art in
the last few decades what with all our great Mig & Tig and Oxy-Acetylene
rigs ..... Have at it and have fun !!! ..... and to throw in two more quotes :
              Experience is the Best Teacher
                                    Practice DOES make Perfect
      Bruce, thinking that The Spirit of St Louis had a lot more rivets in
it than it had welded seams ....... Did rather well, too !!!
PS :  At least back a few years ago old time hardware stores, not
your Home Depot, Lowe's or Orchard type chainstores, were a
wonderful source for all that yesteryear technology stuff .......if you
looked on the back shelves and in dusty corners . Yard sales at homes
of senior citizens can also turn up some interesting old style workshop
tools and goodies !!!   I once even found an old type lead SPRAYING gun
used for bodywork way back then ..... I used to do lead work in our chopping
& channeling Fifties, and I had seen them in an old bodytool catalog, but I
never actually saw lead sprayed in the air onto the metal !  Sounds rather
TOXIC, doesn't it ???  I wonder how the EPA would rate those little beasties
being in modern day body shops ...... Yeaaa, right !!!
     Excuse my Rambling again ..... it seems to come easy these days !
              bdf