Re: MGF vs BMW Z3

To: todd@nutria.nrlssc.navy.mil (Todd Mullins), mgs@autox.team.net (mgs)
Subject: Re: MGF vs BMW Z3
From: BLECKSTEIN@SHELL.MONMOUTH.COM
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 1995 09:12:16 -0500

On Fri, 8 Dec 1995, todd@nutria.nrlssc.navy.mil (Todd Mullins) wrote:
>BLECKSTEIN@SHELL.MONMOUTH.COM writes:
>>
>> The purchase by BMW ended that.
>
>A couple of points:
>
>- The MGF is not a rival of the Z3.  The MGF is a mid-engined
>  Hydragas-suspended roadster, while the Z3 uses front-engine/rear-drive
>  and conventional BMW suspension.  Okay, so they're both roadsters.
>
>- The MGF meets all current US emissions and crashworthiness
>  legislation.  I'm desperately clinging to the Pollyanna dream of Rover
>  "changing their mind" in a year or two.  Letter-writing campaign,
>  anyone?
>
>The current issue of _european car features both cars, with nothing but
>high praise for each.  Recommended reading.
>
>Actually, I'm very serious about an organised mass opinion attempting to
>sway the powers-that-be.  Does anyone have a postal address for Rover?
>Can we all get together and complain about this?
>
>--
>
>Todd Mullions
>Todd.Mullins@nrlssc.navy.mil   On the lovely Mississippi (USA) Coast

>Todd: This is America. Of course their rivals: They are about the same size
>and
price. In Britain their was a lot of concern about the prices of both cars as
the MGs didn't want to compete with a cheaper BMW.

I am afraid that realities and perceived realities have doomed our chances.
The question of dealerships is one problem.  In England they selected  only a
small number from all the the Rover dealerships. Our local Rover dealer in the
shore area of New Jersey is a Porsche Audi dealer who also sold Alfa's until
they withdrew from the U.S. Clearly an established network of dealers are
important. Back in the 40's ( no I don't remember them) the first MGs came in
from small importers who bought a few cars at the gate in Abingdon and paid
cash. The factory shipped its first cars in 1947 by driving fifty to the docks
in South Hampton. ( I have a picture of that event from an old newspaper
release.)
  Today everything is so expensive and complicated that cars that will be sold
in small numbers can't make it here. Only the big boys can play. Sure Cadillac
got hit recently with a big recall because they cheated on emissions, but the
cost of this is off set by the relative few cars that compete in our market.
Just think of the wonderful and many times strange cars that were imported and
sold in the U.S. in the fifties. In 1952 the MGTD was the number one imported
car in the U.S.!
  One constantly hears of another problem. It is some times stated that the old
British Leyland dealers have some claim to market the MG in the U.S. and thus a
legal war would occur if the MGF was imported. I doubt this very much. I can't
conceive that their is merit to this claim after so many years and corporate
changes.
  This all boils down to the fact that the corporate decision makers are not
Kimbers or ourselves, but look at their products as goods and at the U.S. as a
market that can be satisfied with the BMW through a well established dealer
network. Letter writing is a great effort (what's Rover's and BMW's E mail
address anyone?) but this issue is not a TV show and I am afraid that those who
make the decisions will not be impressed.
  If you doubt some of what I say, set up a stand in a local mall and ask
people
about MG or British cars. If they know what an MG is, they will tell you that
they were cute or they once had one but they couldn't keep it running, or it
always broke down. (the fact that the local mechanic didn't know what he was
doing never occurred to them). This is the real market out there and the
Japanese and Germans have spent decades building an image of reliability and
strong dealer network. I don't know how many times a friend of mine had serious
problems with his M.Benz 300E and it was fixed even out of warranty. Their was
almost a conspiracy between MB the dealer and the owner not to tell the world
about the engine mounts that failed at 18000 miles or the window motors that
kept breaking or the other electrical and mechanical problems the car had.
  I've run on on this subject because I am so frustrated over it and so
pessimistic. . Boy do I hope I'm wrong.

   Mike Leckstein