RE: Happy Windshield New Year

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Happy Windshield New Year
From: thorpe@kegs.saic.com (Denise Thorpe)
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 96 17:26:50 PST
Lou Nevins asked:

> Can the windshield (screen) be changed without taking off the whole system?
> Doug has done it the way I had done it once and it is a BIG job. It looks like
> I can take the screws out at the top and remove the top edge of the frame to
> lift the glass out.

A guy who used to work (and may still) at Breaker Glass (great name, huh?)
here in San Diego once told me that he'd discovered a way to change the
windshield in an MGB without removing the frame from the car.  He said that
you just take the screws out of the top part of the frame and take it off,
then loosen the bolts holding the frame to the fenders, then spread the two
upright side pieces with a spreader clamp until the glass can be pulled free.
I would NEVER do this to a car of mine.

Denise Thorpe
thorpe@kegs.saic.com