What color?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: What color?
From: bleckstein@shell.monmouth.com
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 1996 21:49:04 -0500
It always amazes me how subjects come up. I have just had my 1934 PA stripped
(at Redi Strip in Allentown Pa.) For over a year the question of the new color
has been argued in my home. I need help and serious suggestions.

Before the war it is my understanding that the factory would paint a car any
color requested for a few extra pounds. The larger six cyl. cars,such as N
types
were often painted two tone to lower the side lines of the car. The most common
combination seems to be Two Tone blue. Like Denise, I like the combination, but
its so common. Almost every restored PA I see is Two tone blue. Two tone green
is nice (Roger Thomas's award winning PA) but that is now often copied. Two
tone
red is not my cup of tea.

As a result I wanted to do the car dark (New Racing Green) BRG. This is almost
black green. I did a TD in this color and it was gorgeous. My family hated the
idea and talked me into two tone blue.

Last October I had the interior for the car made in England in medium blue
hides.( I start restorations backwards) . However I am getting cold feet over
two tone blue for the reasons already set forth. I next picked an almost black
blue (87 Jag color) but I am getting flack that it is too dark for a PA. I
would
rather do the car solid blue but can't seem to find the right color. Should I
go
back to Two tone ? or go Solid blue but not as dark. I need help. I would
appreciate comments from anyone including the pre war group.

The color of the car sets its character more than anything else.I really would
like serious suggestions. Its hard for me to envision the final look from a
small paint chip or even a small spayed panel. Yet when the car is done its too
late to turn back .

Speaking of famous MG colors. I always thought the MGA Alamo Beige was the most
infamous. It was a salmon color that is rarely seen except at MGA gatherings,

Mike Leckstein