Re: Engine weights/was how about a real V8!

To: smrm@coastalnet.com, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Engine weights/was how about a real V8!
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 23:17:13 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-09-23 19:56:44 EDT, smrm@coastalnet.com writes:

> Just always remember that mega HP doesn't help it stop any better!

Yes, this is true, but mega horsepower doesn't make it brake any worse,
either. It all depends on where and how you drive it. Driving on the street,
I won't be going any faster than I do now (although, admittedly, I will get
to whatever speed a bit quicker than I do now!), so if the brakes are
currently adequate, then they still will be when the swap is completed. Even
with the six cylinder, it is very easy to get into trouble if you are not
careful. You can go faster than you can safely stop, and you go go into a
corner faster than the car can corner. I do plan on upgrading the suspension
and brakes a little, though.

I usually drive between 70 and 85 on the interstate now, I don't believe I
want to go much faster than that! Of course, that's not true - I WANT to go
MUCH faster, but, at my age, I let common sense rule.

Certainly, if you wanted to get the maximum usage of all that power, it would
need to be on a track, and better brakes and suspension would definately be
needed to use it all to the best advantage.

> Hmmm... I have a Jensen Interceptor, MGB, and Series Land-Rover, all
> sharing everyday driving duties -- just how rational can I be  ;-) ??

Sounds about like you've got the bases covered!

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74