Re: What would you ask?

To: <MGS%AUTOX.TEAM.NET@mvdns1.mv.Unisys.COM>,
Subject: Re: What would you ask?
From: PHILIPPE TUSLER <TUSLER@mp050.mv.unisys.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 13:28:19 -0800 (PST) (21:28 UT)
>PHILIPPE,

 The little clips are called 'circlips'. There are circlip pliers that have
 prongs on them that fit in the pin holes of the circlip to open it. The
 pliers usually come with an array of removable prongs that, being of
 different shapes, allow you to more easily manipulate the circlip into
 position. Circlip pliers are available at most auto supply houses and maybe
 hardware stores. They can be bought cheaply since, by and large, you won't
 use them that often and the task that they are needed for rarely requires
<much force.

 You obviously have never encountered the clips used to hold the wheel
cylinders onto the backing plate of an early MG.  These resemble 'circlips'
the way lever-arm Armstrong shock absorbers resemble Konis.
I own several circlip pliers, and it would never occur to me to ruin them
trying to apply the kind of force and pressure that is required to mount
one of these spring clips.  First, these clips are not flat. The clips
themselves are arced, and the tabs angled.  They are designed to not only
hold in place, but to apply spring tension on the wheel cylinder.  No one
has ever found a trivial method of pressing them into place.
I can't even begin to make ASCII art to describe them.  Suffice it to
say that they make remounting the wheel cylinders purgatory.

*Philippe Tusler - Mission Viejo, CA     | "MILOU"    '57 MGA Roadster *
*                                        | "TINTIN"   '66 MG/MGB-GT    *
*InterNet: Philippe.Tusler@Unisys.Com    |  N/A       '88 ISUZU Trooper*