Re: What would you ask?

To: PHILIPPE TUSLER <TUSLER@mp050.mv.unisys.com>, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: What would you ask?
From: "Editors, Molecular Vision" <jboatri@emory.edu>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 16:53:01 -0400
Yes, I've encountered these larger clips. I call them E-clips, though
others may  call them by another name (tool of the devil comes to mind).
Sorry, I didn't know that these were what you were working with. I have
successfully installed E-clips but not on a '57 MGA Roadster, '66
MG/MGB-GT, or '88 ISUZU Trooper. Good luck.

Jeff

>>PHILIPPE,
>
> The little clips are called 'circlips'. There are circlip pliers that have
> prongs on them that fit in the pin holes of the circlip to open it. The
> pliers usually come with an array of removable prongs that, being of
> different shapes, allow you to more easily manipulate the circlip into
> position. Circlip pliers are available at most auto supply houses and maybe
> hardware stores. They can be bought cheaply since, by and large, you won't
> use them that often and the task that they are needed for rarely requires
><much force.
>
> You obviously have never encountered the clips used to hold the wheel
>cylinders onto the backing plate of an early MG.  These resemble 'circlips'
>the way lever-arm Armstrong shock absorbers resemble Konis.
>I own several circlip pliers, and it would never occur to me to ruin them
>trying to apply the kind of force and pressure that is required to mount
>one of these spring clips.  First, these clips are not flat. The clips
>themselves are arced, and the tabs angled.  They are designed to not only
>hold in place, but to apply spring tension on the wheel cylinder.  No one
>has ever found a trivial method of pressing them into place.
>I can't even begin to make ASCII art to describe them.  Suffice it to
>say that they make remounting the wheel cylinders purgatory.

Jeffrey H. Boatright, PhD
Senior Editor, Molecular Vision
http://www.emory.edu/molvis
jboatri@emory.edu