Re: Brake Drum Removal

To: <MGS%AUTOX.TEAM.NET@mvdns1.mv.Unisys.COM>
Subject: Re: Brake Drum Removal
From: PHILIPPE TUSLER <TUSLER@mp050.mv.unisys.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 14:35:43 -0700 (PDT) (21:35 UT)
At 02:01 PM 4/13/98 -0500, Harris Goldstein wrote:
>I'm having a difficult time removing my brake drums.  After removing the
>drum retaining screws, it still doesn't want to come off.  The shoes
>shouldn't be too tight, since the wheel turns easily by hand.  Any
>suggestions.

I get a big screwdriver and pry a bit between the drum and the backing plate,
give it 1/3 turn, and pry again.  Repeat this until you can start getting
some real movement, say half an inch, then take hold of each side of the
drum and wiggle it off with alternating pulling on either side.  This,
after having backed off the adjuster.  Other tricks: use one of the nuts
to push down on the spring retainers while you give a half-twist from
behind the backing plate.  Pull back at the top to release the shoe from
the adjuster, and pull it out and release. That gives you enough slack to
undo the spring at the top, then that gives you enough play to do the same
at the bottom.  Be sure to check under the dust caps of the wheel
cylinders for leakage.  I rebuild them anyway, just to be safe.

*Philippe Tusler - Mission Viejo, CA     | "MILOU"    '57 MGA Roadster *
*                                        | "TINTIN"   '66 MG/MGB-GT    *
*InterNet: Philippe.Tusler@Unisys.Com    |  N/A       '88 ISUZU Trooper*