Re: Smog-legal webers? (was Advice to newcomer..)

To: "Bill Schooler" <schooler@erols.com>,
Subject: Re: Smog-legal webers? (was Advice to newcomer..)
From: "Mike Lishego" <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 16:00:48 -0400
> >   Have you ever run the Weber DGV yourself?  Have you ever installed
the
> > setup to an engine?

> Fair question - and appropriate.  Yes, I have rebuilt and installed the
> Weber DGV on an MGB.  Rebuilt with the help of Brit-Tek who supplied the
> correct jets and emulsion tubes for the MGB application, and I rebuilt
> the accelerator pump (replaced the diaphragm.)  Used about two cans of
> carb cleaner in the process.

As if we need more fuel dumped on this fire...I purchased Bill's used Weber
setup this summer to replace my rebuilt SU's on my '74.  I installed it and
couldn't get the mixture right, even though the carb was perfect.  If the
carb was set too lean, the engine temp skyrocketed, and the off-idle
stumble bothered me.  I will say that the car idled smoother, but I could
never get the weber to run right, and yes, I checked the float level.  So,
I put my original SU's back on and tuned them to a running condition within
an hour - my first time tuning SU's!  So, don't be afraid of SU's, they
seem very simple and reasonable to work with if the throttle shafts aren't
worn.  Other than that, the SU's seemed to give a meaner idle sound and
they looked damn good!

As if to contradict myself, I expect to use the Weber again.  I've made the
decision to attempt to resurrect my '77 parts car with a welder, a Moss
catalog, and ca$h (Maybe some excess prayers too!).  Since I parted with
the car's terribly worn SU's, I decided to use the Weber and the other
go-fast parts in my bag of tricks.  By the time it's done, it should be
exempt from emissions.  It ought to be an interesting couple of years...Of
course I'll keep you updated!

Michael S. Lishego