Re: Swaps

To: DANMAS@aol.com
Subject: Re: Swaps
From: Bud Krueger <bkrueger@ici.net>
Date: Sat, 04 Jul 1998 22:57:54 -0700
Hi,
     I know that I won't make any friends, but I feel a need to add my two cents
worth to this thread. Sorry Bill, I'm not one of your fans. Your posts tend to
automatically lead my fingers toward the Delete key. It's a feeling of
pomposity.
However, I have to agree with the theory that you are espousing. The world of
MGA's is shrinking. Please, don't butcher any more of them. There are enough to
go
around that already have been converted to V8's. You Shelby-wannabe's can easily
find them and take them to their ultimate.
      When I found my 52TD it had been converted to a Volvo B16B. I switched it
back to an XPAG. If I wanted a Volvo-drivetrain TD I could find at least three
within a week.
I believe that there is a real need to try to preserve more of these machines in
their as-the-factory-may-have-done-them state as we can reasonably do so. Back
in
the 50's it was not uncommon to see a TD with a Ford V8-60 in it. Nowadays those
are rare collectors items. There were less than 30,000 TD's made, about 20,000
were exported here to the states. How many are still running as representative
of
the car as it was purchased by enthusiasts? How about MGA's? Why advocate
reducing
the number? They are already an endangered species.

Let the flames begin.

Bud Krueger
52TD