Carbs, cats(!),etc. was:Re: Clearance troubles...

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Carbs, cats(!),etc. was:Re: Clearance troubles...
From: Speedo79@aol.com
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 13:27:50 EDT
"Speaking of dual carb conversions, etc, what, in listers experience, is the
primary cause for the loss of horsepower on later B's? I know there is a
change in carburetion, addition of an air pump, and a cat converter. Is
there anything else? What is responsible for the lion's share of lost
horsepower? I assume it is "breathing" related because very little torque
is lost, but hp peaks at a lower rpm (and the peak is less)."

The main loss in power is the horrible design of the intake/exhaust manifold.
The exhaust gases are forced together in very little space and shoved through
a U turn, then a catalytic converter...It was a temporary solution to a
permanant problem.
That and a bunch of little things that all combined to reduce the horsepower
from about 100 to about 55.

Steve Sanchez
"Still holding on in a *new and improved* '77 'B!"