I'm going to buy this MGB!

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: I'm going to buy this MGB!
From: Tomsjetta@aol.com
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 23:22:13 EDT
Unless you think I shouldn't...

Several of you seemed to enjoy my last posting about certain MGB's I've
contemplated buying, so I thought I'd tell you about the latest, and I'm
going to put an offer in for this one boys...

The stats: 1979 MGB. Carmine Red, Autumn Leaf interior. 79k miles, non O/D,
new top, new alternator, water pump. Front suspension rebuilt @ 75k miles.
Second owner car; woman has owned car since 1984. Selling b/c boyfriend
bought her a new BMW 328i convertible. He can't fit in the B; his daily
driver is a 911 Carrera.

Body: Overall, very good. Original paint holding up well. No dents or dings
except for a small dent in trunk (can't figure out how it got there). Car was
backed into front passenger 1/4 panel; shop did a good job fixing it up and
matching paint. Rubber bumpers in fine shape. I can tell this car has always
been garaged. Still, car has lived for 20 years off the coast of Long Island
Sound, so there is some rust. Bottom of front fender, rear of the wheel well,
my magnet would not hold in some places, but I could not find any Bondo. Door
sills were fine. Anothe rust spot at the very top of rear driver's side wheel
well. In both cases, it's just bubbling. On passengers door, there is rust
around the mirror that is visible, but it's small.

I was told she had her mechanic put the car on a lift, and there is no frame
rust. I did ask what it would cost to fix all the rust, and she said $1,800.
Bear in mind I was in the most expensive part of the CT Gold coast except for
Greenwich. All the same, I could drive the car for a while and not worry
about this it seems.

Interior: Original-seats and door skins faded. No cracks in dash. No
tears/rips in seats. No carpet on floor; just covered up with heavy rubber
mats ( a perfect fit too). Otherwise, carpet elsewhere was OK. No rust at all
on floor boards. All original, even the radio. Everything works. Visors were
missing. Seat cushions in remarkably good shape.

Driving: A dumb word, but, it was awesome. Totally flawless. I was given TEN
YEARS of receipts to pour over, car has been serviced by same guy since '84.
Place is called Expert Auto Service in Stamford, CT-if you know about this
place, please tell me. Car was started three times while I was there, and it
fired first time, each time. I was lucky to have a near 30 minute test drive,
and it did nothing wrong. Clutch/tranny were absolutely silent, as were the
brakes. Engine sounded great; cat converter has been removed, and had Weber
carbs. Never hesitated, smoked, surged, idle was dead steady, car shifted
nearly as well as a Miata (except for reverse). Plenty of pep, and handled
well. Very, very solid-this '79 MGB was more solid than my '86 Alfa Spider in
terms of cowl shake and vibration. I had this car in some nice twisties, and
she was more than willing to play. I can't say enough good things about how
this car felt on the road.

Obviously, rust is the main problem with this car, but like I said, it is
fixable, and is not too too bad. Owner told me herself if she was hanging on
to the car she'd take care of the rust eventually. The car felt quite safe on
the road. Listers, this is where I really need your input.

Mechanically, owner spared no expense, and I have the proof in writing. I am
calling the mechanic to talk about the car tomarrow. She is asking $5,500,
which is a little high. I want to offer $4,800. My gut says to go for it-this
car was really well looked after, and well cared for.

I'd welcome your opinions guys, so feel free to let loose. No oppositions,
I'm buying her!

Tom
'79 MGB?