Re: Driveshaft bolt removal or how do you get the #@%* things

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Driveshaft bolt removal or how do you get the #@%* things
From: "Alan Claffie" <aclaffie@excite.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 1999 07:55:15 PDT
On Thu, 5 Aug 1999 06:04:25 EDT, Mgbreh@aol.com wrote:

> Loose without round the nuts off.  Ive removed the
> driveshaft on 4 different mgb's all 741/2 or newer non od
> cars.  The rockets scientist that designed
> those bastards should be sentanced to building yugos.
> Any tricks ??

I've had to pull my driveshaft on more than a few occasions (let's just say
my car has a checkered mechanical past) and never had any real trouble aside
from my being a little skinny guy trying to lift this big monstrous heavy
metal driveshaft into place while on his back with the car on top of him.

What makes things real easy is making sure the rear wheels are off the
ground and having a helper turn one of them to as you move on to the next
bolt it can be positioned right on the bottom where you can easily get a
wrench on it.

It's been a while since the last u-joint went bad or the engine had to be
pulled so I may be selectively snipping some un-fun memories of working
under my fine derelict.

Claff
71 B