Someone Buy This Guy a Torque Wrench!

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Someone Buy This Guy a Torque Wrench!
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 19:29:12 EDT
<< Got it all together, and striped the threads while putting in the plugs.
Had to take the whole thing apart, go to NAPA to have the helicoils installed
in all the plugs ports, and put it back together.Then torqued one of the head
bolts down (one of the ones going into thehead) down a bit to much and
snapped it.  So, off came the head again, backto NAPA  to drill it out.>>

Uhh - you do have a torque wrench, and were following the recommended specs,
weren't you?  It seems impossible to torque something "a bit too much" if you
are following these specs, unless there is a fault with the fasteners, or the
wrong specs have been supplied, unless you were just cranking by feel.  I
suppose the head could be a very soft alloy, but I hadn't heard of any
problems like that, and the HRG versions certainly were hard enough to take
reasonable use.

Bill