Re: Someone Buy This Guy a Torque Wrench!

To: WSpohn4@aol.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Someone Buy This Guy a Torque Wrench!
From: John Walker <john@rmartin.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 16:43:14 -0700
In all fairness to the original poster, I have to say that I have had
problems with aluminum heads
in the past.  I USED to have one of the click style torque wrenches that is
SUPPOSED to
click when it gets to the correct torque rating.  Well it turns out that
this style of wrench is less than
reliable.  I ended up stripping the threads in an aluminum head because the
wrench never clicked. :(
Solution for future projects?:  I bought the old mechanical style torque
wrench that actually SHOWS
you how much torque you are applying.  Thus leaving up to me when I have
reached a particular
torque rating instead of the wrench.
I highly recommend that all of you that have the click style wrenches give
them to your neighbor to use
on his mini-van.  Then go buy a good old mechanical torque wrench to use on
your LBC.

-JW

At 07:29 PM 9/23/99 EDT, WSpohn4@aol.com wrote:
><< Got it all together, and striped the threads while putting in the plugs.
>Had to take the whole thing apart, go to NAPA to have the helicoils
installed
>in all the plugs ports, and put it back together.Then torqued one of the
head
>bolts down (one of the ones going into thehead) down a bit to much and
>snapped it.  So, off came the head again, backto NAPA  to drill it out.>>
>
>Uhh - you do have a torque wrench, and were following the recommended specs,
>weren't you?  It seems impossible to torque something "a bit too much" if
you
>are following these specs, unless there is a fault with the fasteners, or
the
>wrong specs have been supplied, unless you were just cranking by feel.  I
>suppose the head could be a very soft alloy, but I hadn't heard of any
>problems like that, and the HRG versions certainly were hard enough to take
>reasonable use.
>
>Bill

        John Walker
     john@rmartin.net