Re: Locking shifter?

To: dpockrus@efficient.com
Subject: Re: Locking shifter?
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 1999 19:29:47 EDT
Dan,
  Somewhere, and I can't remember the source, someone rigged up a sleeve
(pipe of some description) that slipped over the handbrake and passed
over the gearshift shaft in such a way that a padlock could be clipped
on. With the car in 1st and the sleeve on the brake, the lever could not
be pulled out of first. Seemed like a good idea to me.
  Finally--when I was a senior in HS, my parents let me get my licence.
My car was the trusty TD I still drive.  My friends did what your son's
friends are doing. I never knew where I would find the car. TD has no
steering column lock, and one can hot wire it very easily.   Of course,
that meant that they would move the car whenever they saw it, even if the
Old Man were using it that day.  He would come home livid, having hiked
all over town looking for the car.....  And, since it was my friends who
did the deed, I would be back on the bicycle at best, and grounded at
worst.
Bob