Re: Felons wanted (at least their advice)

To: Trefor Delve <tdelve@mathworks.com>
Subject: Re: Felons wanted (at least their advice)
From: dwilkins@wcta.net (Don Wilkins)
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 14:28:21 GMT
On Thu, 11 Nov 1999 23:47:12 -0500, you wrote:

>OK, I have a 74 1/2 MGB and this is the situation,
>
>Put a bag in the trunk of the car, drove home (about 5 mins), can't open
>the damn trunk.  Button goes in but lid wont lift.
>
>Anyone have any good suggestions before I break out the high explosives
>or cutting gear!

Happened to me with my 78MGB.

Probably not the best solution but all else failed. I removed the
fabric covering the sheet metal which prevents you from reaching into
the trunk from the shelf where the top folds down. Drilled a hole, cut
out a chunk big enough to get my hand through, and spent a fair amount
of time with a flashlight and a long rod. Finally tripped the latch.

If you take this route it will be helpful if you have another MGB to
examine so that you are somewhat enlightened on how the latch
functions.

I removed the bottom piece of the latch and still have it around here
someplace. The fabric was replaced and my second entrance to the trunk
is well hidden.

My guess in retrospect is that slamming the trunk shut nudges that "U"
shaped hook down too far. Try pushing down hard on the trunk lid and
then try the handle. There might be enough give in the gasket to open.

Additional thought generated by reliving my frustration. That "U"
latch hook is held on by two bolts. With a long extension and a
flashlight you may be able to loosen those bolts enough to pull the
latch up with the trunk handle.