Re: Felons wanted (at least their advice)

To: MG list <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Felons wanted (at least their advice)
From: ATWEDITOR@aol.com
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 15:32:35 EST
On Thu, 11 Nov 1999 23:47:12 -0500 Trefor Delve <tdelve@mathworks.com>
writes:
> OK, I have a 74 1/2 MGB and this is the situation,
>
> Put a bag in the trunk of the car, drove home (about 5 mins), can't
> open
> the damn trunk.  Button goes in but lid wont lift.
>
> Anyone have any good suggestions before I break out the high
> explosives
> or cutting gear!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Trefor

Try pushing down hard on the lid when you depress the button.  After that,
and you probably don't want to hear this, you can take a large drill bit and
drill out the center of the lock mechanism.  This allows you to physically
operate the latch with your finger.  Then buy a new mechanism, around $40 via
Moss.  I hope someone has given you a better idea.
One point, however--if you get it open, unscrew the lock mechanism and just
let it sit in position as you make your adjustments so that if it won't open
you can just pull out the mechanism and toggle the latch manually.

Jay Donoghue
72B
66 Mustang

Probably