Re: emissions and my future as an LBC hobbyist

To: Michael Jose <mwjose@u.arizona.edu>
Subject: Re: emissions and my future as an LBC hobbyist
From: "Andrew B. Lundgren" <Lundgren@iname.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 13:48:14 -0700 (MST)
My emmissions problems in the past have been solvable...  A few points that you
may already know:

Make sure the exhaust is HOT, if it is not, then you won't get any additional
burn in the cat.
Change your oil prior to the test.
Read the instructions (if you got any) on dealing with failure to hydrocarbons.
 I can't recall details now, but I had a car that failed CO,  I tried a bottle
of emmisions reducer from a parts store.  It didn't help the CO, but it brought
the hydrocarbons WAY down.  (I didn't have a problem there.)

Things I have heard in emmissions shops:
If your car was not equipped with planium plugs then don't use them for the
test.
"I have never seen a car with a new catalytic converter fail."

I am sure someone on the list can address hydrocarbons directly.