Pertronix vs Mallory Magnetic

To: "'MG Mail list'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Pertronix vs Mallory Magnetic
From: "Neil Cotty" <neilc@apphosting.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 10:49:30 -0000
Hi list,

Have been investigating switching my ignition system over to a breakerless
setup for my 74 V8. I'm intending on using a Mallory ignition control. To do
this it appears I will need to replace my Dual point distributor with either
a Mallory Magnetic distributor ($320) or a Pertronix device which will
require me to lock out the mechanical advance. It costs $110. A big
difference! Anybody with practical experience tell me whether or not there
is any difference worth the extra $. Oh, I also don't want to lose the
vacumn advance in the distributor - anyone know if the Pertronix affects
this?

Many thanks,
Neil