Re: 5th Annual British Car Drivers Week

To: danhackney@nc.rr.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 5th Annual British Car Drivers Week
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 10:37:39 EDT
In a message dated 4/24/01 7:29:37 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
danhackney@nc.rr.com writes:

> I have found few people my age with similar automotive preferences.  Are
> there any other sub-20 year olds on the list?  Any fathers out there who

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Well, Dan, I have 3 sons, ages 19, 21 and 24.  The two older sons have
inherited my love of cars, altho not necessarily LBCs.  #2 son just bought a
1980 Ford F250 4WD pickup and he loves it.  #1 son has been thru several Jap
sports cars, Mitsu Eclipse, Mazda RX7, Honda CRX, and will probably get
another one soon.  Both of these guys do all their own repair and maintenance
work.  #3 son has a 2000 Pontiac Sunflower (Or somthin' like that. Maybe
Sunfire.) and he loves it.  He has the three year optional warranty and goes
to the dealer for everything except oil changes, which I insisted he learn
how to do himself.

The big advantage to older cars, and LBCs in particular, is the ease of doing
the work yourself.  They are simple machines with no computers, and no
sensors that shut the car off until they get what they want.  Along with
being able to figure out why the car is running rough, and then fixing it
yourself, comes a feeling of accomplishment.  I think that is the reason I
love these cars so much.

Just my 2 pence.  YMMV!

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward