Re: Cupro-Nickel Brake Lines

To: Barrie Robinson <barrier@bconnex.net>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Cupro-Nickel Brake Lines
From: prsmith@ns.sympatico.ca (preston smith)
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 21:02:42 -0300
Barrie!

Thanks for your note.

I was triggered to this issue when speaking to the folks at Precision Auto
(?) in Toronto a couple of years ago.  The owner/manager told me that he
automatically rejects any/all lines with any copper in them.

Such is also the case in NB and NS where the DOT folks say they will reject
any lines with copper in them.

Having said this, a chap from our club has received an individual
authorization from the province of NS to use lines made from Cu-Ni on his
LBC.  There is presently no general acceptance except where vehicle
manufacturers have specified the Cu-Ni lines come as original equipment (so
the new cars are OK).  The provincial authority has indicated that he is
open to allowing the use of Cu-Ni replacements lines in our LBCs if he has
some indication of what standards the lines are manufactured to.  Hence my
query from Kelvin.

Bureaucratic to the extreme but we have to break the log jam somehow.

LBC folks are very aware of  the acceptability of CU-Ni lines in other
jurisdictions.

Thank you very much for your note - it helps us put things inperspective

Preston

At 08:26 PM 7/26/01, you wrote:
>Preston,
>
>Strange!  I once looked into this question in Ontario.  The DoT (Federal?)
>regulations did NOT mention the material used but they had strict pressure
>burst, etc, standards.  They said it mattered not whether   you used
>copper, copper-nickel, steel, etc etc just as long as it met the
>specifications.  Check the wording of your regulations.  If Nova Scotia
>has these funny regs then you will have a problem with new
>Astons,  Merc's, Morgans, and many other new cars using copper-nickel
>lines.  No one seems to remember that steel replaced copper lines because
>of expense not mechanical properties. Also no one remembers that copper
>was frowned on by many mechanics because they burst - which is not
>surprising as they used piping from Canadian Tire - not the real auto
>grade stuff (well hell it looked the same!) Most restored cars in UK and
>in Ontario use Cu-Ni pipes !!!

---
Betti Ann & Preston Smith
Head of St Margaret's Bay, NS