69 B tuning -- what are we missing here?

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: 69 B tuning -- what are we missing here?
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 09:57:57 -0700
I've been helping my buddy try to get his 69 MGB "barn car" running, and we
are a little puzzled at this juncture, and looking for suggestions. Here's
the situation:

1969 MGB roadster, in storage with a cracked head 1974-2000. New head, air
injection holes plugged, air pump removed. Valves adjusted. Good compression
and oil pressure. Carbs rebuilt and bushed.

We have gone through the tune-up steps and carb set-up, and believe the
timing is correct and the carbs synchronized and the mixtures correct. It
idles very smoothly from as low as 650 to 1200 and above, and seems to rev
freely when you blip the throttle. But when you go for a test drive, it has
no power under acceleration, and while the engine doesn't exactly get rough,
it sounds a little off (although hard to pin down because the bonnet has
been removed).

We are thinking that perhaps having removed the air pump and smog equipment,
the carb needles could be incorrect? Or perhaps it's still a timing issue. I
should mention that it has a Pertronix ignition unit.

One anomaly with the car is that it was hard to set the timing, because the
timing marks were not visible behind the balancer, as if the little pointer
prongs had been bent back. I managed to bend the large TDC pointer up so
that it was visible, but the two or three smaller pointers don't seem to
extend far enough to clear the rim of the balancer. Anyone with this vintage
of B have any advice on this issue?
--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149