Re: 69 B tuning -- what are we missing here?

To: mvheim@studiolimage.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 69 B tuning -- what are we missing here?
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 14:25:42 EDT
In a message dated 9/10/01 1:00:34 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
mvheim@studiolimage.com writes:

> We have gone through the tune-up steps and carb set-up, and believe the
> timing is correct and the carbs synchronized and the mixtures correct. It
> idles very smoothly from as low as 650 to 1200 and above, and seems to rev
> freely when you blip the throttle. But when you go for a test drive, it has
> no power under acceleration, and while the engine doesn't exactly get rough,
> it sounds a little off (although hard to pin down because the bonnet has

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Sounds exactly like my son's pickup truck when he bought it.  It idled fine,
but would not go up a hill.  (351 cu.i. Ford V8 engine SHOULD go up a hill!)
I loosened the dizzy and turned it a quarter turn and it ran like h-e-double
hockey sticks.  The DPO has erased all traces of timing marks, so it is set
by ear.

I bet it's timing.  Advance the dizzy "roughly" 10 degrees and go for a short
ride.  It doesn't have to be exact, but if it makes a difference, that is the
problem.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget