RE: Safety Fast

To: <peloquin@cache.ucr.edu>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Safety Fast
From: "Jerry Erbesfield" <jerbesfield@mediaone.net>
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2002 21:07:03 -0500
Yeah. - - We don't get no respect.

We got nice cars though!!!

-Jerry Erbesfield
73 B Black Beauty roadster
jerbesfield@mediaone.net
website- http://people.atl.mediaone.net/jerbesfield

-----Original Message-----
From: John J. Peloquin [mailto:peloquinucr@mail.earthlink.net]
Sent: Saturday, February 02, 2002 7:45 PM
To: Jerry Erbesfield; mgs@autox.team.net

Dear Jerry,

I think most cops simply don't like MGs. I suspect this is because LBCs,
because
they are small and sporty,  look like they are going fast even when they are
not. The other day I was going to my dentists- she needed another boat
payment I
guess. As you might guess, I wasn't in any hurry to get there (I was about
20
minutes early because traffic was inexplicably light). I come off the
freeway
and went through the green light at the end of the off ramp (about 30 mph-
well
below speed limit of 40) and some moron in a Hyundai with primer grey spots
pulls out of the shop-and-rob across two lanes of traffic right in front of
me
cutting me off to go to the gas station across the street. I stand on my
brakes
to avoid hitting him and then go about two blocks further to make a left
turn
to my dentist- some guy in a truck decides to drive in the left turn lane
for
about one of those blocks and would prevent me from making a left turn if he
continued, finally realizing I was trying to make a left turn, he stops and
motions me ahead of him. I get into the lane, then make a quick left turn
(about
25-30 mph) so as to not delay the truck guy any more than I had to.

I get in to the dentist parking lot and "officer Couchon" pulls up suddenly
and
tells me I need to slow down as I could cause an accident "driving like
that". I
didn't disagree with him, but I did ask him, "did I impede oncoming
traffic?"
and the cop says "no, or I would have given you a ticket."

Now, this swine must have seen the idiots in the Hyundai pull out cluelessly
into traffic without even looking at oncoming cars, forcing me to stand on
the
brakes and he must have seen the truck driver driving along for about a
block in
what is supposed to be the turn lane (CVC says, IIRC not to drive more than
3
car lengths there) but Officer Ciancio makes a point of giving me a hard
time,
when I wasn't even speeding.  The cops must have it in for LBCs.

Jerry Erbesfield wrote:

> Rocky Frisco wrote:
>
> >A friend of mine swears this is true, that it happened to a mate of
> his.
>
> >Cop pulls over MGBGT with two young lads in it; they had been doing
> >about 10% over the speed limit, so knew it was a close call. As the
> >officer approaches the driver's door, the driver rolls the window
> >down and says quietly, "These are not the 'droids you are looking
> >for."
>
> >Turned out the policeman must have been a big Star Wars fan with an
> >active sense of humour, since he says, "These are not the 'droids I
> >am looking for," and goes back and gets in his cruiser and drives
> >away.
>
> I NEVER have good luck such as that. They usually throw the book at me. I
> haven't had a ticket in several years now - but that's only because I've
> slowed way down so they'd leave me alone!!  That's one of the reasons I
> bought a B rather than a muscle car in the first place, to not be so
> tempted.
>
> Hell, with the kind of luck that I've had with cops and traffic tickets,
the
> cop probably would arrest me and take me away for drug testing if I tried
> something like that! And with my luck, the test would mistakenly show
> positive somehow!!!!
>
> I just stay away from them now!
>
> -Jerry Erbesfield
> 73 B Black Beauty roadster
> jerbesfield@mediaone.net
> website- http://people.atl.mediaone.net/jerbesfield

"Never ascribe to Malice that which is explained by Ignorance"

John J. Peloquin, Assistant Research Entomologist
http://facultydirectory.ucr.edu/cgi-bin/pub/public_individual.pl?faculty=882
Department of Entomology
University of California, Riverside. 92521

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list
///