Re: Back in the shop

To: "Bob Howard" <mgbob@juno.com>, <lrcar@red4est.com>
Subject: Re: Back in the shop
From: "Hans Duinhoven" <h.duinhoven@planet.nl>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 16:09:37 +0100
Sometimes we have some nasty fumes inside my GT as well.
Comes from the exhaust when the rear left window is open. It sometimes opens
in itself and I have to find out why. Can this be adjusted?

other things to check:
The battery box cover has a runner "ring" in order to prevent fumes coming
into the car.
Mine was in a bad shape, so I replaced this with some self adhesive stuff
from a diy shop.

In front of the air inlet where the bonnet closes into, there should be some
foam as well in order to prevent fumes getting into the cabin air inlet from
the engine bay.
Also the edge of the engine bay should be equipped with a rubber liner which
is available at the MG parts shop.

The pedal box cover ought to have some isolating foam in order to prevent
getting fumes from the engine bay into the pedal area. Remove the cover and
check that this stuff is in place near the inside edge of this cover.

The pedal housing itself should have a well fit gasket, which is available
at MG part shops.

Don't forget the blank panel where pedals of UK etc. cars are to be found.
This plate should be equipped with a proper gasket!

As mentioned before by Bob, check that all unused holes in the firewall are
covered with a grommet or otherwise.

Good luck.

Cheers,

Hans