Re: brake pads

To: Michael Jose <mwjose@cox.net>
Subject: Re: brake pads
From: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 05:25:39 -0600
Michael Jose wrote:

> I'm putting new pads on my front brakes right now, and I have a silly
> newbie type question: how the devil does one push the pistons back in?
> bentley says to use a suitable clamp (?), haynes says to push them
> 'right in'
> I took off the master cylinder cap, but I would rather not take the
> calipers off, as the rotors look alright to me.  This seems like
> something simple, routine, but I can't figure it out!

I use a big prybar. First I put an old pad in the opposite side, to
back up the rotor so it doesn't get warped, then I use the prybar,
carefully working around the outside of the piston to force it into
its cavity without binding. When it's all the way in, far enough to
mount the new pad in that position, I put the pad in, to back up the
rotor, and then do the same for the other piston.  This has never
failed me so far and has not yet ever caused a leak.

I have this feeling I might soon hear about a better way to do
this.  ;)

-Rock  http://www.rocky-frisco.com
--
Red Dirt Rangers (Rocky on piano): http://www.reddirtrangers.com