Re: Title woes.

To: ct@cthompson.com
Subject: Re: Title woes.
From: "David Breneman" <idcb@airborne.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 08:22:59 -0700 (PDT)
Chris -

I think this is a case where you really need an attorney
who knows the laws in your state.  I'm just astonished
that Ohio requires a Social Security number to register a car!
There's *supposed* to be a federal law that Social Security
numbers are only for payroll-related issues.  You don't
even need to give one for a credit check (although it's
not really clever to start raising issues like that if
you're asking someone for a loan).  Why don't they just
make it easier on themselves and tattoo barcodes on our
foreheads?

As far as the 911-sister goes, I believe that in most
states car registrations are considered public records,
and you should be able to go to your DMV with the VIN
or license plate number and get the name of the registered
owner.  Alternatively, you could drive the car with
expired tabs, tell the cop you forgot your license, and
see who *he* thinks you are from the plates.  :-)

I'd think that playing fast and loose with swapping
serial numbers between cars would be your last option,
although after reading this list for the couple months
I've been here, there doesn't seem to be any end to
things people here swap on their cars!  :-)

Good luck!  I had a problem with my MGA that the "VIN"
on the title was the engine serial number, and the
engine had been swapped out by the PO, and I'd stored
the car for 10 years (also due to financial considerations)
and lost the paper title.  It took 5 months to do a title
search by the DMV, and if the clerk hadn't let me read
her notes, I never would have gotten it.  She had actually
written down the proper number months earlier, but
dismissed it as a bad record because it didn't match
the *real* serial number I gave her *with the caveat
that they wouldn't find that number in their records*!
Anyway, it's finally licensed as a collector's car with
original unissued 1958 plates and I never need to buy
license tabs again!

--
David Breneman                   |  "Advice is somethin' the
Distributed Systems S/W Analyst  |   other feller can't use,