Re: installing a pos ground radio

To: MG Nuts <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: installing a pos ground radio
From: Skye Poier <skye@ffwd.cx>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 16:16:39 -0700
Word on the street is Kevin D. Richards said:
> Ok, I have a 64B that I currently run as Pos ground.
> Will I have to replace my fuel pump with a neg ground pump if I convert?

If you are using a replacement SU pump, yes.  I think you could flip the
wires and it would work, but the body of the pump would be + while the
body would be - which means a big risk of shorting out.

I think if you have the original SU pump, its not polarity sensitive.  I
don't know hwo to tell if its original or not.

If you have an aftermarket fuel pump with a plastic body you can just
switch the wires.  I think.

That's what I've heard anyway, sprinkled with a little conjecture.
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

> I want to put in a newer radio (hidden).
> Is it possible for me to run a pos ground supply to a radio shack Pos ground
> to neg ground converter, and then supply the radio?
> will that work ok?

Do you really want to have a chance of the radio body shorting out?
What about the antenna?  I believe it grounds as well.

Much safer to just convert to neg ground if you want to use modern
electronics.  It's not that hard.

http://www.mgbexperience.com/service/neg-convert.html

Skye