Re: The After-Market

To: rowman22001@yahoo.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: The After-Market
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 19:24:25 -0400
In a message dated 8/12/2003 7:12:54 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
rowman22001@yahoo.com writes:

> are serious parts for MGCs tricky to come
> by?  I have DEFINITELY noticed that there is virtually
> no mention of them by Moss, which makes me a little
> nervous.
>
> IMPORTANT NOTE:  When answering this question, please
> be careful to avoid talking me out of buying an MGC,
> okay?  I need one, so don't burst my bubble.  Be
> upbeat!  Be positive!  Tell me how easy parts are to
> find!

As long as you aren't looking for major castings and what-not, there really
isn't a big problem.

Half the time you have to educate the partsmen - a lot of the brake system, for
instance, is interchangeable with other cars. I used Capri rear cylinders when
I built the car, as they were readily available (though a little smaller
diameter).

You can make gaskets for anything - I'm used to doing that on my Twincam and
Lambo. I could have obtained a sump gasket from VB in 2 days if I lived in the
States. To get one toCanada needed a week or two (half that time spent figuring
out where Canada IS, no doubt). So we made one. No big deal.

Some little stuff is hard to get - oil pumps etc., but nothing that would
indicate you should stay away from buying one.

Bear in mind that the cars need some TLC to upgrade them if you want them to
really shine - I did engine and suspension the first time around, and it really
transforms the cars.

Enjoy.

Bill