Re: Carb & Trans Oil Questions

To: "Christian, Skip" <wellner.christian@navy.mil>,
Subject: Re: Carb & Trans Oil Questions
From: <ptegler@cablespeed.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 13:25:45 -0400
Another simple seal I've recently found... to seal the shafts a bit.....
just slide a HIF4 style and or even a ZS style shaft seal up against
the housing on the non lever end.
Personally on those ends, most of my LBC's just have a HELP PAK
black rubber cap stuffed on the ends of the shafts, tight up against
the carb body.

I've always found you really don't need to add a seal on the lever
side.  Since the real problem is an offset in the throttle plate
position on axis, as the shafts are what wear, the throttle
plates don't line up properly to seal the throttle bore.
So if you pack the lever side, you'll be pulling the throttle
disk up against the side wall of the throat, thus accelerating
the problem or air leaks as the butterfly digs into the wall
further adding to the air leak space.
Simply loosen the two screws holding the throttle disk, don't
remove just loosen.
Now turn your throttle shaft while repositioning the disk
to perfectly and completely seal the throttle bore.
Now snug the lever up against the body of the carb
and tighten the screws. With  the lever tight against the body
any rotary motion of the butterfly will only opens up a bit
of slop, but closed, and the lever against the body, the
butter fly will snug up to stop leaks when idling.

Paul Tegler
ptegler@cablespeed.com
www.teglerizer.com