Alternatives to de-smogging

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Alternatives to de-smogging
From: Editorgary@aol.com
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 16:59:28 EDT
In a message dated 6/10/04 9:29:05 PM, owner-mgs-digest@autox.team.net
writes:

> I am just trying to make you (us) face up to the fact that by
> choosing to drive an "obsolete" vehicle, we are part of the problem, not
> part of the solution, albeit a very small part.

Actually, if you expand the equation, you may get a different answer. How
much pollution is created, energy and resources used in the manufacture of the
new car that is going to replace the obsolete vehicle you've chosen not to use
in favor of a new car. And how much pollution will be created in recycling and
disposing of the materials in the obsolete car you've chosen to junk. Though I
can't footnote my source, my recollection is that a well-maintained older car
can be used for many years before it produces the amount of pollution created
in the manufacture of its replacement. If these calculations are correct,
every mile we drive in our well-maintained (seals and rings replaced as needed,
tune-ups carried out, timing correct, exhaust system in good shape, etc.) hobby
cars contributes to the solution of the problem, if the alternative is
junking the car and buying a new one.
The only ways to really help solve the problem are to park your old car, take
up cycling as your hobby and use the time you save in not having to maintain
your car to lobby for inclusion of SUVs and light trucks in the emission
regulations.
JMHO
Gary Anderson