RE: The Verdict: Has this Happened to Anyone?

To: "Dan DiBiase" <d_dibiase@yahoo.com>,
Subject: RE: The Verdict: Has this Happened to Anyone?
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 12:37:18 -0700
Ok, ok, so I am weighing in.

Hmmm.  About 30 pounds over weight.  Shucks.

Both the Borg and Beck, and Quinten Hazell clutch packs have good
components and should both give excellent service.

Of the two, my preference is the B & B, (now packaged as Delphi btw.) as
the components are just a bit nicer and more solid looking.  The QH kit
is a bit cheaper but is quite usable, it's a question of you pays your
money and chooses which brand to go with.

That's why Moss carries both.

So far I'm not aware of clutch disc failures, but don't doubt Bob's
input.  I would be interested in any documented failures, so we can keep
our eyes open.

Kelvin.

Scott, if there is an issue with clutch disks, I suspect that Kelvin
Dodd will weigh in here and tell us.....!

S Allen <scottinthestans@hotmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

After following the advice of several on the list, it turns out it's the

clutch. Specifically it looks like the center section of the clutch disk

disintegrated.

Of course it's disapointing because I replaced the clutch 3,700 miles
and
two years ago, (and I wasn't here for a year).

At some point I spoke with Bob Mason at the B Register who says it's the

fourth time in three months he's heard of it happening. As he tells it,
there's two suppliers of B clutches; Borg and Becker and another company

whose name escapes me at the moment. All the ones he's heard of failing
are
from the other company.

I looked at my receipt for the original clutch from Moss, and it doesn't
say
who it was from, so I have no way of knowing, but I guess it's safe to
assume...