Re: Somewhat Embarrassing Question

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Somewhat Embarrassing Question
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 10:57:43 EST
In a message dated 26/12/2004 11:03:04 PM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-mgs-digest@autox.team.net writes:

I've  never owned a non-synchro MGB but I have owned several early 50's
vintage  Dodge and Ford products.  The technique taught to me is called
"double  clutching".  You stop momentarily in neutral when shifting down  from
second to first.  While in neutral you attempt to match the  engine speed to
the engine speed you will obtain once you are actually in  first according to
your road speed.
____________________________________

Double clutching is so much second nature to me that I do it without
thinking about it.  One of the young guys in the Fiero group asked me what  the
heck
I was doing and I had to think about it a minute before I figured out  what he
was talking about.

I guess having most of my formative years driving an MGA with dubious
synchros and then racing cars with the same gearbox has made double clutching
second nature - when the Lamborghini box is a bit slow (I haven't pulled it out
renew the synchros yet) I just match revs and everything works like it was a
big MG.

The sad thing is that most of the young guys don't know what you are  talking
about when you mention double clutching.  I've run half a race with  no
clutch at all after the slave blew out, just shifting by ear and double
clutching
down - a very useful skill.

 I am glad to hear one of our MG brethren asking the question - no
embarrassment needed - best to learn on someone else's car, mind  you......
when you
get really good, we'll teach you the secret  handshake......

Bill