Re: Somewhat Embarrassing Question

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Somewhat Embarrassing Question
From: "Eric J Russell" <ejrussell@mebtel.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 21:22:50 -0500
> Before engaging first, slip it back into second to align splines then go
> forward into first. Saves that crunch into first.

I don't think you actually 'aligning' anything. The brief movement towards
second gear uses the 2nd gear balk ring to slow down the spinning gears.
Then the shift into first gear is easier as the gears do not have to
suddenly cease moving.

To shift into first while the vehicle is moving requires the 'double-clutch'
method. Gear lever in neutral, clutch released, increase engine speed (and
thus speed of gear rotation) then clutch in and shift into first. If you've
matched rpms, it'll go right in (and actually the clutch becomes redundant).
Too many or too few rpms and it'll crunch.

Eric Russell
Mebane, NC
http://community.webshots.com/user/ghnl1961