Re: Rear Axle Oil Seal and Bearing

To: "Elliott and Martha DeGraff" <degraff@erols.com>
Subject: Re: Rear Axle Oil Seal and Bearing
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 09:42:01 -0000
Unless the bearing is actually noisy just replace the oil-seal.  The seal
runs on a collar slipped on to the half-shaft, so if that is damaged you
will need one of those too.  Quite straight-forward to change, raise that
corner to prevent axle oil running out.  First you will have to break the
taper of the hub on the half-shaft, should be easy enough with a hub-puller.
I didn't have one so tapped a couple of steel wedges between the back of the
hub and the heads of two opposite back-plate bolts.  Then remove the
back-plate which usually entails undoing the brake pipe.  Then loosely refit
the hub to withdraw the half-shaft with bearing.  I tapped round the back of
the hub with a mallet which detached the bearing cap which contains the oil
seal as well as pulling the half-shaft, the bearing is a slight interference
fit with the axle casing and cap.  Others have described using spacers and
tightening the hub onto the half-shaft to pull it, but for this I think you
would need to remove the bearing cap first with a hammer and drift, and
unless you are replacing the bearing as well that is as far as you would
have to go.  The collar that the seal runs on, which has a taper and splits
on the outer end, should be able to be removed, if required, with a
sharp-edged drift.  Grease the new oil seal to give it an easy start in
life, but it is lubricated by the axle oil of course, as is the bearing.
Changing the bearing is  pain as it is a tight interference fit onto the
half-shaft and really needs pressing off and back on with a hydraulic press.
I have heard tell of big hammers to get the old one off and ovens and
freezers to get the new one on but I didn't go there.  Don't forget to check
the diff oil level.

PaulH.