Re: rebuild or part out?

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: rebuild or part out?
From: Max Heim <max_heim@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 09:20:44 -0800
Sounds a lot like my 66. The difference is mine is running, and so long as
it continues to do so I can avoid facing your dilemma.

Installing a 4-synchro gearbox on the original 18GB motor would have
required a new engine rear plate, flywheel, and starter, and mods to the
tunnel for the shifter. With a GH motor I would assume you already have the
first three items (but maybe not). If you are going that far I wouldn't
bother with positive ground -- just put in a single battery and go negative.

I think we can assume that restoring this car would not be cost-effective.
The question is whether it would be enjoyable as a process, and would the
result be satisfactory as a driving/owning experience?

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149