Re: [Mgs] [Mgb-v8] Kendall Oil

To: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>, MG List
Subject: Re: [Mgs] [Mgb-v8] Kendall Oil
From: Steven Trovato <strovato@optonline.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 07:55:06 -0400
API motor oil guide says "For automotive gasoline engines, the latest
engine oil service
category includes the performance properties of each earlier
category. If an automotive
owner's manual calls for an API SJ or SL oil, an API SM oil will
provide full protection."
I found this
here:  http://www.aa1car.com/library/API_ratings.pdf.  It was never
intended that older flat tappet engines would need a different
oil.  It is just that classic
car owners and mechanics perceive a problem.  Saying that an oil
meets SJ and SM
is just redundant, because SM is the later standard that
its  intended to include all
properties of the earlier standard.  But to the average guy who
doesn't know about
API standards, if he opens the owners manual and it says to use SJ,
it makes him
comfortable buying the bottle that says it meets SJ and SM.  So it's
not exactly
"a mockery of the system", just marketing.

-Steve Trovato
strovato@optonline.net