Re: [Mgs] [Mgb-v8] Kendall Oil

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] [Mgb-v8] Kendall Oil
From: Max Heim <max_heim@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 16:22:41 -0700
"Gold Seal" was the BMC brand for their top-grade rebuilt engine (i.e.
Factory rebuild). I am pretty sure that this grade included all new wearing
parts. There was also a Silver Seal that may have retained used parts.

The motor was a pull from a seriously rusty driver that had been imported
into California, but could not be registered as the motor was not CA spec
for the model year (74). It allegedly had less than 10K miles on the motor.
I had the pan pulled and the big end bearings inspected at the time, and
they had no visible wear, but we replaced them anyway.

So I can only indirectly vouch for the "break in", but I think I can draw
two conclusions:

1. As a non-smog "Euro-spec" rebuild, it did not feature hardened valve
seats, hence the valve recession;

2. Castrol 20w50 (actually, several different formulations over the period;
I am guessing SF through SL, at least; so it's hard to say at which point
the problems began) did not adequately protect the cam and tappets in a
spirited driving regime, even with moderate valve spring pressure and all
stock components.

Have you inspected your cam and tappets recently? Mine was driving "fine", I
would have said, before I tore it down for an unrelated problem.

I'm just sayin'...

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149