Re: hand brake

To: "G D. Mc Coy" <gdm@po.cwru.edu>
Subject: Re: hand brake
From: Jeremy Edwards <jeremy@jmemee.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1996 20:57:34 +0100
In message <199604121150.HAA16518@christopher.INS.CWRU.Edu>, "G D. Mc
Coy" <gdm@po.cwru.edu> writes
>       The hand brake on my 1966 +4 works fine but not for long. What I mean
>is,
>initially when I set the brake it holds. After a short period of time
>however it will release all by itself. This annoying and I was wondering if
>any of you had suggestions as to how to correct this problem.

Morgans "quaint" handbrake design has a little problem with wear on the
rachet quadrant and the operating pin. If the quadrant teeth are
slightly hooked or the rod poking down the hand brake has got a little
chewed, this can be the alarming result.

The usual solution is to clean up the quadrant and the operating pin
with a file- or change the componants for new! So far, I've used a file,
mine is still a young car.

Before attempting to tear the brake lever apart, make sure the knob on
the top of the lever is tightened down against the spring and the hand
brake cables are tightened evenly when the brake is applied, as this can
also create similar symptoms.

Good luck
Jeremy Edwards
1972 Morgan 4/4 2 str