RE: Preflighting

To: snotrek@cil.qc.ca, Morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Preflighting
From: Gerry Willburn <Gerry.Willburn@trw.com>
Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 09:48:16 -0700
Barbara and I get in about 7,000 to 10,000 MORGAN Miles a year.  That is
down some from (25,000 or so) when I used to drive a MORGAN to work every
day and we had fewer other interests.

We can drive a MORGAN all year here in California so that is not the
problem.  It is more a matter of "too many cars and not enough time."
Sailing takes up a few of our Weekends as well.

Normaly we do not do any "preflighting."  Normal maintainance and the
instruments tell if there is anything wrong.  When we drove to Toronto a few
years back, we operated on the theory that it is the part that you do not
have that will break.  We took a spare of nearly everything so nothing
broke.  Some years afterwards we found that the generator that we had
carried as a spare did not work!  We took a "CB" instead of a cell phone.
Barbara liked to listen to the truckers.

We do all three of the things you mentioned can be done.  We restore our own
cars (the SNOBMOG is currently under restoration), we show them (our 1952
MORGAN Saloon won 2nd at Pebble Beach) and we drive them (alas, not as often
as I would like).

All the best,

Gerry