Re: Preflighting

To: LSelz@aol.com
Subject: Re: Preflighting
From: Giampiero Pecelli <giam@cs.uml.edu>
Date: Fri, 07 May 1999 23:05:43 -0400
I might have agreed with the somewhat flippant (if quite often
well-grounded) dismissal of cellphones in cars, except for the fact
that, two years ago, one of my children had a somewhat freak
accident at about 2AM on I-95 just South of Waterville, Maine.
The car flipped over a couple of times on its way down the
embankment and landed on its wheels, pinning into the bog
the front seat passenger - who had not strapped in.
The phone permitted a quick call to 911 and a faster arrival of
help. Everybody came through - the strapped ones with just minor
scratches.
I will bemoan the abuse of the cellphones, but I will carry one,
just in case - besides the convenience it provides in all those
instances when I would have to find a public phone to make
a call...

Giampiero Pecelli