Rear axle, paper gaskets go where?

To: <morgans@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rear axle, paper gaskets go where?
From: "Robin & Ron" <robinnron@attglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2002 23:56:36 -0400
Hi,

    I am replacing rear axle bearings and seals and find myself a little
confused about where the paper gaskets are meant to go.  I gather there are
meant to be 3 of them per side.  Putting between the bearing plate and the
shims seems like putting in a variable on the shimming for end play, but there
was one there on disassembly.  Under the outer grease seal, between the outer
plate and the brake backing plate, and between the backing plate and the
bearing plate seem like 3 logical spots, but if one also goes between bearing
plate and shims, that would make 4 per side.  Also if one goes there, why not
another one or two as additional shims if needed?  Wazzup?

Thanks,
Ron Kerans
'67 4/4