Re: [oletrucks] Water Jacket Welding; Parking/Headlights

To: <jeastman@appliedtheory.com>, <oletrucks-digest@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Water Jacket Welding; Parking/Headlights
From: "Kevin Lake" <lakek@oit.edu>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 13:58:04 -0800
I have never tried to weld cast iron, but I have brazed it a few times.  My
brothers 55 had a cracked block when he bought it.  My Dad drained the
water out, burned the paint off the area with a torch and brushed it with a
steel brush.  He then pre-heated the area around it and used standard
brazing rod to fix the crack.  I have also done this to a Fiat 4-cyl., and
a F$%d 6-cyl.  Both of which are still running to the best of my knowledge
(8 and 12 years ago).  I don't remember doing anything else to prepare it.
Has anybody else on the list ever used this method?  Did we just get lucky
or is this a good method?  Good luck with it, keep me posted on how it
comes out.

In many places it used to be illegal to drive with your parking lights on,
I don't know if it still is or not, but I got a ticket in Montana in 1984
for it ($25.00).  Just parking lights, no headlights.

Kevin Lake 56 napco/burb GMC